Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Saffron Finch - Hawaii


Saffron Finch, originally uploaded by Michael A. Nelson.

Well, I thought I would continue with the Hawaii theme and show this photograph of the Saffron Finch. Often used as a cagebird they have established themselves in Hawaii. It originally came from just outside the Amazon Basin in South America and is a type of Tanager.

I discovered this bird poking around on the grass beside our condo we were staying in. He was nice enough to pose before he left.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Hi just wondering what island you were on when you spotted this Saffron Finch
hoping it was maui
Thanks

Michael Nelson said...

Yes Michele it was Maui. I remember it very clearly. We just rented one of the Condos along the ocean for a week and I was walking on a grassy area near the ocean and that is where I found this guy.

Anonymous said...

I just saw one at Moanalua Dog Park on Oahu, and so wished I had a camera!

Suzanne said...

Aloha We have many of these Saffron Finches on the Big Island, there are two pair in my yard in Kona right now.....I have put up some bird houses hoping they will use them.

Unknown said...

I just photographed a pair in Hilo, Big Island at Wailoa River recreation area